Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fall: A Time for Letting Go

Autumn has always been my favorite time of year.  There are some, however, that struggle with Autumn because it is a reminder that Winter is near. Sadness comes over them when they see the falling leaves.  Actually Autumn is a journey toward life  The dead leaves are transformed by Winter snows and Spring rains into rich material for new growth.  The earth waits in this process of growth for the unknown and the unseen beauty of another season.  New growth of Spring cannot happen until Autumn lets go of what has been. The same is true in our lives.  We cannot grow without change.  The falling leaves are subtle reminders that we are asked to let go of many things in our lives.  It is a time for us to let go of whatever keeps us from growing. 

Fall's changing weather may prompt you to make changes....cashing in spare change, changing batteries in smoke detectors, undergoing a sex change operation.

You may need to to let go in other ways: 

Letting go of that husband with the wandering eye so that a hunky new man can come into your life.


Letting go of old outdated clothing styles you desperately cling to.



For me it is as simple as letting go of an old resentment.  Like maybe that time in second grade when Sister Amata came up from behind, grabbed me by the shoulders and shook the daylights out of me for no apparent reason. (That tiny ole battle ax was always yanking my chain.)




Autumn is a season of change and it reminds me that I am changing too.  Help me throw off those things that hold me down.  Help me understand I cannot live in summer forever.  I am made to change and this season is part of it.  Let me embrace this time of change, and become something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment